Inquiry is an approach to learning whereby students are developing their skills towards independently finding and using a variety of sources of information and ideas to increase their understanding of a problem, topic or issue of interest to them.
The aim of inquiry learning at Waitakere Primary School is to help develop students’ thinking and learning skills. As the world become more dependent on ICT the shift has to move away from knowledge based to skills based learning so that students can:
· Think critically and make judgements
· Solve open ended problems
· Be creative
· Communicate clearly and effectively
· Collaborate and make group decisions
· Bring flexibility and adaptability to new situations
· Have initiative and be self-reliant
· Become intrinsically motivated and self-directed
· Be responsible and show good leadership skills.